Double Chocolate Pancake Recipe with caramelised bananas - from the 'Using our Mixes' Series
I think all we need to say is WOW! Designed by one of our favourite foodies Sam Hadadi, take a look at this luxurious recipe - just to show that Pancakes are not just for breakfast...
Chocolate Pancake Recipe
For the pancakes:
- 1 packet Sweetpea Pantry Grainy Brainy Pancake Mix
- 3 tbsp cacao
- 1 chia egg (or egg)
- 230ml cashew milk
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 80g dark chocolate chunks
For the caramelised banana:
- 1 1/2 large bananas, cut into slices
- 1.5 tbsp dairy-free butter or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- For the chocolate sauce -
- 80g dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the whipped coconut cream:
- 1 tin full-fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste.
To serve: chocolate shavings and a drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
- Start by making your coconut cream. Scoop the ‘cream’ from the top of your chilled coconut milk tin, saving the liquid to use in smoothies or milkshakes. Using an electric whisk, beat the coconut cream with the vanilla and maple syrup, adjusting the taste and sweetness as desired. Set aside.
- Next, make your bananas. Gently melt the butter or coconut oil in a frying pan. Once melted, add in the bananas and fry on a low to medium heat for a minute or two, until softened. Add in the coconut sugar and cinnamon, if using, give a good stir and heat for another minute or so, or until the bananas begin to caramelise. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Now, you can make your chocolate sauce! In a main bare, gently melt together the chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until smooth and lump-free. Remove from the heat and set aside somewhere warm.
- Make your pancakes by whisking together the chia egg / egg and milk. Heat your frying pan on a medium heat and add a little butter or coconut oil.
- Stir together the cacao and Sweetpea Pantry mix, then mix into the milk mixture until combined - add a splash more milk if the mixture seems a little thick, but remember that we are making American pancakes! Stir your chocolate chunks through the mixture.
- Using a tablespoon, pour the mixture into your warm pan (I used a pancake ring with two tablespoons of mixture per pancake) to create small circles. Flip once the bubble start to appear, cooking on the second side until brown.
- Serve your pancakes in stacks with the caramelised banana slices sandwiching each pancake. Top with coconut cream and drizzle over the chocolate sauce. Enjoy!
For more great ideas from Sam check out: The Nourished Naturally.