Carrot Muffins with Vegan Cream Frosting Recipe - From the 'Using our Mixes' Series
We've had so many requests for how best to top these delicious cakes that we had to give you our favourite frosting - try it, they are irresistible!
Carrot Muffins with vegan cream cheese frosting
- One pack Sweetpea Pantry Carrot Muffin Mix
- Two eggs or flax eggs
- 60ml / ¼ cup boiling water
- 100ml olive oil or coconut oil or melted butter
For the frosting –
- 1 cup cashews or macadamia nuts, soaked 4-6 hours
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or powdered icing sugar
- Juice ½ lemon
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch salt
- 1 tin coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- ¼ cup maple syrup OR powdered icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Start by making your frosting. If making the cashew frosting, place all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blitz until smooth, scraping down the sides as you go. Taste and adjust sweetness and flavours as desired, then spoon into an airtight container and store in the fridge to thicken.
- If making the coconut frosting, scoop the solidified part of the chilled coconut milk – the coconut cream – from the tin. Using an electric whisk, beat it with your sweetener and vanilla. Spoon into an airtight container and place in the fridge to thicken.
- To make your cupcakes, preheat your oven to 180C, or 160C for fan ovens. Line a muffin tin with six cupcake cases.
- If using coconut oil or butter, melt – olive oil is already good to go!
- Place your Sweetpea mix into a large mixing bowl. Stir through your melted butter, boiling water and egg until blended. Put into 6 cupcake cases and bake in 180 oven for 15 minutes until slightly risen, brown and no longer wet.
- Once cool slather in frosting and enjoy!
Our Carrot Muffin Mix is available from Ocado.